Monday, February 7, 2011

Potty Time

On Wednesday Feb. 2nd Ethan used his little potty for the first time. He has sat on his potty several times, but when it has come to sitting on it to use it he has wanted nothing to do with the potty. Ethan been vocalizing about going to the bathroom a lot more letting us know when he is going or right afterwards. He has also become really curious about the bathroom itself. If you do not remember to lock the door he will follow you right on in and the entire time ask questions. So with all these cues he has been given us we have left the potty out in plain sight, but have not pushed the issue with him.

This day in particular we were coloring at the dining room table and Ethan was sitting in his chair. I had to leave to deal with Owen and then hear Ethan saying he had pee-peed on the floor. I thought he was saying Sadie had peed on the floor, but when I turned around the corner there was a puddle all on his chair and some on the floor. How he managed doing this with a diaper on is beyond me. So I got him off his chair stripped him and sent him upstairs to his room so I could change him. While I finished cleaning up the mess in the dining room and start to make it up the stairs there is Ethan standing at the top of the steps saying he peed again. This time it was all on the banister, down the wall, and on the steps. I have no idea what he was doing. At this point I was getting annoyed cleaning up pee and told Ethan to go sit on his potty while he waited for mommy to put a new diaper on him that way if he peed again it would be in his potty. With the amounts of pee that I cleaned up I did not think he had anything left in him, but he proved me wrong on that one.

When I went in to tell him to come into his room he stood up and said so proudly that he peed in his potty. He had such a look of accomplishment on his face. I was so excited for him that I clapped and made a big deal about it for him. He just grinned from ear to ear. He helped empty his potty into the toilet and then flushed it. He then got on his stool and I helped him wash his hands. Ethan was so into the whole thing he had to move his stool himself over and get the hand towel himself to dry his hands. He acted so grown up. Since then we have asked if he wants to sit on it and he doesn't seem interested. We did buy pull ups to have on hand if by chance Ethan decides he really wants to try using his big boy potty.

No comments:

Post a Comment